Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Lessons from The Lorax

Joe and I had a mid-week date night tonight, and it was so fun! We went to the theatre in Forney and saw The Lorax. Cheap (or at least cheaper) movie ticket + popcorn for dinner + adorable movie = wonderful date night! It was nice to have a break in the middle of the week to just enjoy being with my husband. And to top if all off, we were the only people in the theatre! Awesome!

If you haven't seen The Lorax, you need to! It was such a fantastic movie. Cute singing animals AND a great message... How can you go wrong!?! As I watched the movie, I couldn't help but relate several of the quotes to marriage. I know that was not the intention of the writers, or Dr. Seuss, for that matter, but they were so applicable. In a time when marriage is viewed by so many as a temporary situation, or as something that is easily dismissed when problems arise, I feel like we need more movies that show the importance of staying true to commitments and following through with good intentions. Here are several quotes from the movie...

"Do you know which way a tree falls? A tree falls whichever way it leans. Be careful where you lean." - First of all, I want a poster that has this phrase on it, because I think my students need to be reminded of this daily. But then again, don't we all. Be careful where you lean. So simple, and yet, so powerful. LOVE IT!

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Teaching people to care about things beyond themselves is not an easy task. I'm so glad that this movie is trying to help kids (and adults) see that what they do is important in making a difference in the world around them, whether for good or for bad. I thought about this quote in the context of marriage. If you don't care about your marriage an awful lot, it's not going to get better. It's not.

"Let it grow. Let it grow. You can't reap what you don't sow." - This was from the song near the end, and I thought the whole song was adorable. But this quote stood out to me. How do people expect to reap good, happy, stable marriages without being willing to sow the seeds of patience, love, perseverance, and commitment first.

Just a few thoughts from a wife that is committed to doing what it takes to keep my marriage in tact. I know we've only been married 9 months, but I can't imagine ever giving up on Joe. I'm saying a prayer for married couples to start stepping up to the challenge, and show this world what true devotion to someone else really means.

No comments:

Post a Comment