Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bright Idea

I had a great idea today after my training for school was over. We got out an hour earlier than expected, so I thought "Well, I'll take advantage of this semi-cloudy day and get outside to do my C25K run". Wow... Not the best idea I've ever had.

July 1st + Dallas, Texas + Running = One VERY Exhausting Girl!

This was my first time to do the C25K run outside. I'm not gonna lie, it was a big struggle. I wanted to stop at one point, but I didn't give in. I really felt Satan in my head today. He started saying things like, "Are you sure you can do this? Did you forget that you're not a runner? This is too hard, why don't you just walk?" Once I realized that my thoughts were turning toward the negative, I quickly identified it as Satan and told him that he was not welcome in this journey. I started praying that God would give me strength. I prayed that the Spirit would enter my thoughts and drive Satan away.

As always, God delivered. I looked at the pond (the center point of my running path) and realized there were several sweet baby ducks swimming around. Oddly enough, this was something that I had not even noticed on the previous 4 laps around the pond (and I always notice babies of any kind!) I started thinking about how those baby ducks must feel the first time they get into the water. Unsure of themselves maybe. Uncertain of what lies beneath the water. And what happens to them? I've never seen a duck struggle to swim, so I'm sure it's probably second nature to them. But, I saw the comparison to my running. I'm unsure at times. Uncertain that I'm really going to be strong enough to reach my goal. It makes me think of an old saying I remember from my youth "If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it." Isn't that powerful?

I'm certain of one thing: God has brought me to this running journey. He's said to me "Challenge yourself, and trust me. I've got a plan. I'm going to help you. You're not alone." These are things I've got to keep reminding myself.

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." - Psalm 46:1

No comments:

Post a Comment